Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Friends on all Sides

Any time you are dealing with the mind there is a certain amount of weirdness associated from all sides. People on the outside say, "Well she's a little crazy" and at times you may say to yourself "Am I crazy or what?" but trust me there is still allot of sane in these Parkinson minds that are traveling around this country. Our bodies may be tired and misshapen but the light is still very much on in the house. Today I was on the phone most of the day and sat down for supper with a definite smile on my face thinking how far we have come in trying to find a cure. True I have only been out there looking for a short time.....six months to a year, but so much has happened in that time. The places I have been and the people I have met leave me with such a feeling of hope for our future as healthier patients that were once categorized and forgotten. New exercise programs are being developed as we speak to help Parkinson's patients live a better life and keep moving. My weight plays a factor in my Parkinson's or Parkinson's plays a factor in my weight. Whatever, this will be the year to turn this around if at all possible. I am lucky in this respect for having a fiend in David Zid, author and personal trainer. David's home base is Columbus, Ohio and first we met indirectly through his dad in Atlanta, Georgia at the YOPN Convention. Several months later I ran into David and family again in Indianapolis, Indiana at a Parkinson Symposium and I was just mesmerized by his teaching technique. We hugged at this meeting and I promised David to address the weight issue and things would be better when next we met. Now several months later again and David and I are setting up a symposium of our own in of all places Vandalia, Illinois in May. Hopefully uniting our area in Parkinson care and possibilities for treatment. So many advances have been made that are not filtering back to the patients.....The LSVT program makes a huge difference and yet there are speech therapist who know nothing of the program. With this disease you MUST be your own caregiver, your own advocate and sometimes your own physician. You must be constantly on the lookout for something new or old that makes the day a little better. Be it a warm blanket or a phone call from across the United States, everyday must hold a new" something" that helps. So many of us with this disease have no family or friend to talk to and without a friend the pain just grows and grows until it is unbearable. I am so fortunate to have found Patientslikeme.com last October while looking for my email. Now over a year later it is very much my home away from home and believe me has helped me in untold ways to go to battle and win in many respects. Often the meds don't work and you can't get through to the doctor and you start to feel no one really cares, but as close as a post away, there is usually someone who is feeling just as bad or has been there and can help you out. A new slant to "One on One" or "Be a Friend, Make a Friend" In the coming year I hope to share my friends and family with each of you so that you too may benefit from them as I have. David and I will continue on our path and I am sure my life will forever be changed by our chance meeting. After two very long years in silence, my family is coming to the foreground to help in my crusade. I can not tell you how proud this makes me. If they could be at the Walk in April my life would be complete but if they can't just knowing they are watching will be great too. And last but not least, To Susan, and Jo Ann and Paula......WoW

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pokie
you are an amazing woman...I am in awe of all you have accomplished in just a year...Keep up the great work my sweet friend. Love ya always B'nana

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger