Saturday, February 20, 2010

Inspirations.....

There is someone You have probably never met and neither have I and we will never get the chance now because her days on this earth were numbered and I am sure she is in heaven now. Mary Lou Krauseneck was a ALS patient the likes of which no one has ever known. While in the throws of her illness she wrote three volumes of cookbooks and donated all proceeds to the fueling of research at the ALS Therapy Developement Institute in Cambridge, Mass. Ok, you say, and go on. No, she netted $90,000.00 for research on her own while suffering from ALS. These books  are no small achievements to be passed by...over 500 pages each.  Called simply, "Recipes for Life" Volume One, Two and Three. From 2000  on the cookbooks gave Mary Lou a focus on something positive....something no one knew anything about, Lou Gehrig's Disease.Little did anyone know that these fund raising efforts were laying the ground work for the world class research engine that today is called ALS Therapy Development Institute (ALS TDI)

As I said, I never met Mary Lou but I did see a special on her on Dateline and had I had the chance we would have probably become great friends because I feel a emptiness in my heart for her. She had this miracle smile and she kept it coming no matter what.

In the front of my first cookbook is a quote by Luciano De Crescenzo:  "We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can fly only by embracing each other.". That just keeps going through my head, around and around.. I feel her embrace.  I talked to her niece today, after I received my book, and thanked her for the pleasure and told her I would do all I could to spread the word on her aunt's work.

Your books may be ordered too. Your pleasure can start soon and your knowledge that you are making a difference on this earth will begin. ALSTDI CAN BE REACHED  AT 215 First Street, Cambridge, Ma 02142 or 617-441.7200 or www.als.net get involved, make a difference and help us save our grandchildren from this and other neurological diseases...love Pokie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a tribute to my mom ( I am Lisa, Mary Lou's daughter). She was an amazing woman...I am so glad that these cookbooks have allowed you to get to know her :) God bless you!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you like writing cook books to help Mary that way.

we allways do comunitary activities in our association, cause we don't have enough money.

I hope your idea works fine.

Friendly
Patty
ConcepciĆ³n, Chile.

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger